Required Revision to Orders of Approval
- David Fay;
- The IJC Orders of Approval for Lake Superior regulation were reviewed. It was recommended that the several existing Orders be consolidated, in addition to the following: add requirement to limit the rate that gates in the compensating works are opened or closed to protect fish in St. Marys River rapids; recognize that hydropower entities may conduct peaking and ponding operations subject to IJC guidelines; update the ‘supplies of the past as adjusted’ definition to include most recent data; use the appropriate equation for computing pre-project Lake Superior outflows; require that regulated maximum winter flows take ice management into consideration; amend ‘Criterion C’ to require that any regulation plan must not result in a greater frequency of Lake Superior levels below 183.20 m than would occur with the preproject outlet condition; continue to require that flows be regulated to balance levels of Superior and Michigan-Huron to the extent consistent with the other criteria; recognize the existing authority of the Board of Control to deviate from the plan only in emergencies; and maintain existing flow allocation rules among uses at Sault Ste. Marie. Additional information is found in Ch. 6 of the IUGLS final report.
- Additional Data and Information
Can't find what you're looking for? Want additional data, models or other information related to this project? This may be available upon request. Please send specific requests using the request button below:
- Supporting Content
- Main Topics
- - Lake Superior Regulation
- Questions We Asked
- - What changes to IJC Orders are necessary?
- - Review of Orders of Approval